Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cookie's Culinary Adventures-Baking for Days!


Over the long Labor Day weekend, my mom and I realized that we were running low on home-made cookies, and in our family, this is a DISASTER! My entire family loves home-made cookies and treats!!  Since it was a long weekend, we decided it was the perfect time to bake and restock with some  yummy and delicious treats.
Because my mom and I were the only ones baking, we got to choose what we wanted to make. I wanted to make church windows, which are mini colored marshmallows covered in chocolate and walnuts. What I love about these treats is that when you cut into them, you see all the different colors of the marshmallows, and it resembles a "church window"! If you like coconut, you can be sprinkle some on the top of them before you put them in the refrigerator. These are one of my favorite cookies that my mom and I make!
We also wanted to make my mom's famous brownies(Recipe Below), and those things, I swear make magic happen! The brownies are so rich, and so chocolatey, I can't even bear to sit hear and think about them without having to go get one. When we were making them, I had forgotten to turn off the mixer and accidentally took it out of the bowl without noticing that I hadn't turned it off. All of the sudden, there was brownie batter EVERYWHERE! My mom and I were lucky enough to be able to dodge the brownie batter, but sadly, our cabinets couldn't move out of the way! We spent quite a bit of time cleaning the cabinets and the countertop.
After the church windows had cooled in the fridge and the brownies were out of the oven, I decided I  wanted to keep baking and making new sweets for my family.  I pulled out a few cookbooks and got to work. I found two recipes that I wanted to create. One was a recipe for the treats called "cherry bombs".  These are pretty easy to make and taste amazing. All you have to do is mix up 1 1/2 cups of dried cherries and 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts, then melt some dark chocolate, mix it all together, spread on a baking sheet, and pop them in the fridge! Since those were super easy to make, and not very time-consuming, we decided to make those first! As soon as we were done, I told my mom that I wanted to make a cake. At first she said no. Then I told her I would do it in small cake pans,  so we'd have several small individual cakes
 instead of one big cake, and she agreed. So we set out to work on what would soon become a masterpiece, and I was sure we could do it! I was as right as my right hand! WE DID IT! I decided that I wanted to use my piping bag and tips to decorate the mini cakes I made.  I knew that I wanted to use chocolate frosting, so I opted for a vanilla cake so that you could see the frosting. After a while, we had finished the cake, and I began to decorate! I had ten mini-cakes, and I took my time icing each and every one. Once I was finished, I was really satisfied with what I did!
The Best Brownies in THE WORLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment