Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jim's Drive In, Lewisburg, West Virginia

Jim's Drive In!
In Lewisburg, West Virginia, there are many excellent restaurants. One that I really enjoy that you may not have tried is Jim's Drive In.  Jim's is a fast food joint where you can either sit and eat in your car, or sit at one of the picnic tables that they have outside. Every single summer, I go to Jim's Drive In at least once. I usually go with my family, and some friends of ours. Although the food is so good, I'm happy we only go once a summer, because I probably couldn't handle any more since we typically eat so much!  The deal with Jim's Drive In is that practically everything is fried. They have fried onions, fries, pickles, banana peppers, green
beans and many more.  Generally we are pretty healthy eaters, but some times at Jim's we order everything fried on the menu for the table.  We call that "the fried extravaganza!"  They also have burgers, chicken fingers, corn dogs, and other entrees. My favorite part of Jim's Drive In is the milkshakes. They have about two dozen different flavors of milkshakes, everything from Butterfinger to Oreo. My personal favorite is the Butterfinger. It is a vanilla milkshake with many pieces of Butterfinger mixed in. While we were there recently, they had a few special summer shakes. They had a Mocha, Carmel Coffee, S'mores, and Hawaiian (coconut, banana, and pineapple). This time, I decided to be adventurous and have a S'mores shake.


   On my most recent trip to Jim's Drive In, I ordered a cheeseburger, fried banana peppers and a S'mores milkshake. My brother ordered chicken fingers, mac n' cheese bites (deep fried balls of mac n' cheese), and a
My burger and fried banana peppers!
Fried mushrooms! Yum! 
Oreo milkshake. My dad ordered the signature "Big Jim" Ranch Burger, which has ranch, ham, lettuce, tomato, pickles, cheese, and onion on it with a Mocha milkshake. He says it is one of his favorite burgers from anywhere.  My mom detoured from the usual burger and decided to go with the fried green tomato sandwich. The fried green tomato sandwich had fried green tomato, provolone cheese, bacon, lettuce and mayonnaise on it. She really liked it.  I tried it but I like the burgers more.  We also ordered onion rings, fried mushrooms and fried green beans for the table. Because Jim's is such a great restaurant, it is usually packed at lunch time and the restaurant only has 3 or 4 employees, thus the food took a little while to come out, but the food was worth the wait. My S'mores milkshake, as expected was delicious! It actually tasted like real s'mores! It was a vanilla milkshake with crushed graham cracker blended in, and pieces of chocolate mixed in as well. My cheeseburger was also really good, as it was meaty, juicy, and tender to the point of almost falling apart. I have three favorite fried foods at Jim's: The fried banana peppers, the onion rings, and the fried mushrooms. The fact that I love the fried banana peppers so much has always come as a surprise to me, since I won't even touch a regular banana pepper, but when Jim's fries them, they become a magical, great-tasting food! My second favorite fried food at Jim's are the onion rings. Now, unlike normal onion rings which I find are too often soggy and drenched in grease, the ones at Jim's are crunchy, and have little to no grease on them. Now for my third favorite fired food, I really love the fried mushrooms. They are really hot (as in temperature), and are crisp on the outside, but meaty, chewy, and juicy on the inside. Even though all these fried foods are great by themselves, there is a way to make them even better. The answer? Ranch. Jim's ranch is unlike any ranch I've ever had before. It is thick, creamy, tangy, and smooth, plus it compliments any fried food perfectly, blanking out the little grease the fried foods have with a thick, creamy coat of ranch goodness. For dessert my mom and I split a soft serve vanilla ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles on top! It was really good! The ice
cream was house-made, so it was flavorful, creamy, smooth, soft, and a very refreshing treat in the middle of the day!

   One of the reason I love Jim's so much is because of the people there; they will bend over backwards just to make you happy. Everyone is so nice, and are happy to help you with any question you might have. And the best part? All of this is in one of the coolest small towns in America!

    As always, I will be rating the places I go on my Cookie Counter Scale of Cookieness, with one cookie being old, stale, burnt oatmeal raisin cookie nastiness, and ten cookies being warm, gooey, chewy, chocolate chip (my favorite) cookie goodness. My Cookie Counter ratings for Jim's drive-in are:



     Food: 8 Cookies
     Milkshakes: 9 1/2 Cookies
     Atmosphere: 6 Cookies
     Service: 12 Cookies





Note: The fried mushrooms as shown in the picture contain many more mushrooms than what is shown. They were so good that they were almost all gone before I could take a picture! :)

Jim's Drive-In Google+: https://plus.google.com/110521968412177484113/about?gl=us&hl=en

1 comment:

  1. Jim's is definitely one of our "guilty pleasures!" I apologize for being ONE of the culprits who ate mushrooms before you could photograph!

    ReplyDelete