Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Christiana Campbell's Tavern- Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

 Another tavern that we went to during our stay at Colonial Williamsburg was Christiana Campbell's Tavern. As we arrived at the tavern, I saw a few familiar figures. Some of my family's friends surprised us by coming to Williamsburg and having dinner with us when we weren't supposed to see them for another week and a half! We walked in and took our seats. There were two areas to sit in, a dining room on the ground level and a dining room on the second level. We ate on the second level. Much like
Shield's Tavern,  all of the waiters there are dressed in colonial period attire, and there is live music and singing. The exterior and interior of the tavern were made almost completely our of wood. The tables
The Crew!
 and seats were made of wood as well. We ate dinner by candlelight and without air conditioning, just as it would've been in the colonial times.
    Christiana Campbell's Tavern offered a wide range of food and also had a kids menu, both menus featuring colonial and modern food to appeal to all tastes.  For an appetizer, I decided to try the clam chowder. The soup was very creamy, warm, and had a lot of flavor. It was one of the best soups I've ever had! Once I finished my soup, I began looking at the menu for an entree.  To me, everything looked good, so it was hard to choose. I ended up going with a steak, my brother ordered a hamburger, and my friend Meredith wanted fried chicken, but asked for a bun to make it a sandwich. Our food came out in a matter of minutes! I have nothing but good things to say about the food. My steak was tender, juicy, and cooked exactly like I asked. My brothers burger was juicy, meaty, and awesome! My friend's fried chicken sandwich was nice and crispy, but the one complaint she had was that the chicken had bones in them. (This was kind of expected because she ordered fried chicken and just added a bun) After a filling and wonderful meal, we went for dessert. For dessert our group chose to order three kinds of ice cream: vanilla, chocolate, and mint chocolate chip. All of the ice creams are made in house at the
The inside of Christiana Campbell's Tavern
restaurant, and are always fresh. Once the ice cream came out we all dug in! I first tried the classic vanilla, and even though I usually don't like vanilla ice cream, I really liked it! The vanilla was evident in the ice cream, strong and wonderful. The actual ice cream was soft, creamy, and dreamy.  The chocolate was amazing! it was so good that it was almost like frozen hot chocolate (which is AMAZING if you haven't tried it!). But if the chocolate was like a dream, the mint chocolate chip was like a dream in paradise. Unlike most ice creams where they have that fake mint taste, this one actually tasted like real mint! The ice cream wasn't that fake green, but instead white, the natural color. The mint ice cream was a little harder, but still very good. That right there was the best ice cream I have ever had in my life. The entire meal left me overly stuffed but in a good way, because I loved every bite I took of my food from there.
   Everyone in the restaurant was so helpful, and when someone's soup came out a minute later than the others, our waiter apologized profusely. They knew everything about the menu, and were so patient even though we were such a big group! As always, I will be rating the places I go on my Cookie Counter Scale of Cookieness, with one cookie being a burnt, old, stale, nasty oatmeal raisin cookie, and ten cookies being the perfect, warm, gooey, chocolate chip (my favorite) cookie. My Cookie Counter Ratings for Christiana Campbell's Tavern are:

Food: 8 Cookies
Service: 9 Cookies
Atmosphere: 8 Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment